I-CON 29: Sunday
Panel: Computers and Network Security Best Practices
- Security is a people problem.
- The network is global, not local, corporate, government.
- Legal ramifications become more important.
- Patch operating system and all applications in your computer.
- You do not know how the data taken from your computer is going to be used: identity theft, ransomware, etc.
- You are the biggest risk - to yourself, your computer, your network, your company, all your contacts.
- The new broadband initiative is a problem because the broadband is there without awareness of how to deal with it. Home users will have higher bandwidth than businesses without the resources that businesses have. The bad guys will go after home systems.
Last run through the dealers’ room
The dealers room is still very big, and rare items can be found.
For example, this Chimera, which is now part of the magazine’s collection.
One might even find games.
But the costumes are the best
Some costumes are very eye catching
Panels: How To Illustrate The Written Word
James Emmet, illustrator of Ex Occultus
- Books and game supplements leave descriptions vague so that the artist has leeway in interpreting.
- Film is similar to illustrating the written word.
- Some companies will tell you what to draw, others ask you your ideas, and most are somewhere in between.
- You have to know marketing and business since your aim is to sell the product.
- A writer has a feel, and you should illustrate to that feel, which is a much more difficult thing.
- In Asia, the cover is usually just text, but the inside has beautiful art. The opposite is true in America.
- Possibility of illustrating non-children books (teen, young adult)
- Collaboration between the artist and writer is key here.
We did not cover much gaming at this show. Miniatures games were still running in the late afternoon on Sunday.
And there is the usual crowd of card gamers, though there were some boardgamers too.
One great thing about conventions like I-CON is that if you did not bring your own games, you can borrow or rent games from the convention.
We always aim to have a shot of the temple to Great Cthulhu known as Javits Lecture Center.
This portal was not here last time. Its proximity to the temple bodes ill.
And so we bid good bye to Stony Brook and I-CON. We look forward to the next show.